It’s been a while since we’ve marvelled at incredible hairstyles from red carpet events, but this year’s VMAs didn’t disappoint! From Miley Cyrus’ eighties-inspired mullet to Bella Hadid’s throwback-to-the-nineties look, the Music Awards were full of hair inspiration. One of our favourites? Doja Cat’s fierce twisted ponytail.
Pairing a never-ending low ponytail with artful baby hair, this hairstyle was all about twisted texture and delicate details. Here’s how to recreate the look.
How To Create Doja Cat’s 2020 VMAs Hairstyle
Step 1: Gel And Curl Your Baby Hair To Frame Your Crown
The details are undeniably what make this look so eye-catching. Fortunately, learning how to do your edges and making your baby hair frame your face is easier than you might think.
- Starting with dry hair, comb your tresses straight back and tie them into a loose ponytail.
- Use your fingers or a small comb to brush your baby hairs forward so that they sit on your forehead and temples.
- Carefully coat those baby hairs in our Grooming Putty using your fingertips.
- Use a small comb to shape and style small sections of baby hair (a finger-width is plenty).
- Comb each section down onto your skin, pulling the hair slightly forward onto your face, before curling it back around and fixing it onto your crown. This should create a loop that goes out from your crown, onto the edge of your face and back.
- Repeat around your crown until all the baby hair you initially pulled forward has been styled.
- For added detail, apply our Grooming Putty to your sideburns too. Then, use a comb to shape it into a snake-like curl that travels down to your jawline.